This is a placeholder for documenting how I’m going to migrate my site.
After chatting with wordpress online chat, I just realized that wordpress.com is different from wordpress.org
The latter was the one that I was always looking for that allows me to customize my site, here’s the link I’m going to follow.
- Step 1 finished ,purchased a new host (1 year plan) with one of their recommended hosting provider: BlueHost, Good luck to me!
- Step 2: Install WordPress:
- Watched this bluehost installation video
- download FileZilla (open source FTP solution) from here. You could either use your IP address or your domain as the host, fill port number with 21.
- Then I’m stuck at Step 5 of installing WordPress, my BlueHost server returns me 404: I’ve done these:
- upload all the contents of unzipped WordPress to my web server, excluding the directory itself, then try to access this url: https://fishercoder.com/wp-admin/install.php, and it returns me 404.
- Side knowledge: every domain has to be registered with some registrar company, in my case, I purchased my domain through WordPress.com, behind the scenes, my Registrar company is Wild West Domains.
- Nameservers are just specialized servers that translate a domain name into an IP address that is understood by computers on the internet.
it turns out that my nameservers are pointing to wordpress.com nameservers, not to the new nameservers that I just purchased on Bluehost, whois.net states that information very clearly!